Visits

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

In My View Two

Well, I guess I have to apologize for speaking ill of Kasih Ibu hospirtal in yesterday's entry. This morning, I saw an ophthamologist there and was quite impressed with her. She determined straightaway that I have a central cataract in my left eye, which had only been made more obvious to me after getting something in the eye and having a lot of itching and irritation. 

The long and short, of course, is that this cataract, right in the middle of my vision, must be removed. The cost of this, however, is estimated at 31 million Rupiah, or about 2200 USD. 

Shit! Where am I supposed to get that? 

I am told that the operation is painless and only takes about 15 minutes, and when finished, you can just go home and resume function as normal. Sounds pretty attractive to me. And it sure would be nice to be able to see again. 

I suppose I could come to America and get the operation for free on Medicare (or I assume, anyway). Then again, it would cost 2000 just to get to America, so it all kinda comes out the same, don't it? 

Ah, the curious quandaries of the expatriate. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The u.s. cost would be 4-6k and Medicare pays 80%.

R.W. Boughton said...

Anonymous--Yes, so really it ends up being cheaper just to get it done in Indonesia.

Anonymous said...

Australia would-be a good option.

R.W. Boughton said...

Anonymous--Australia, yes--but cannot use Nedicare in Aussie, so cheaper in Bali.