Visits

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Black and White

There are two little dogs who regularly visit my new place in Sanur. One is white, the other is black, and they are both quite small (the black dog being a bit larger than the white). These dogs live just around the corner from my place, but their visits become more common by the day and of greater duration. In fact they seem to be moving in.

Why does this always happen to me? I mean, I like dogs, I'm always kind to dogs, but I don't want dogs of my own--especially dogs who clearly belong to the neighbor who lives just around the corner.

For some reason, this neighbor cages the little black dog, a male, but not the little white dog, a female. I don't understand why he feels he needs to cage either dog. They are both quite friendly. They don't run around barking at anyone or getting into trouble as far as I've seen.

The cage he locks the little black dog in is just barely larger than the dog himself. It is made of metal mesh and he has not bothered to put a blanket or a mat in the cage, nor food nor water either as far as I can see. Yesterday this dog was stuck in the cage from the night before and throughout the day, yelping and howling for hours on end. I walked over to the house several times and could see no one in the house or around the property. No one else nearby seemed to be bothered by this, but I found it quite disturbing. I felt so bad for that little black dog, but of course I did not feel like I could invade the man's property and release the dog, and in any case, the front gate to the house was padlocked, so I couldn't have gotten in anyway unless I tried to climb the fence (which, I am discovering, is not the sort of thing that is a good idea in my feeble elderly days).

Finally, somewhere in the evening, the dog was released and straightaway showed up at my house, heading straight back to the bathmat by the bathroom door and falling asleep. Poor little guy. He's a nice little dog, really, a loving sort of dog, although not as smart as his little companion--which is probably because he is locked up so often. A dog learns by getting out in the world, interacting with other dogs and other people, learning the ropes. As it is, he tends to follow the white dog like a tail, taking his cues from her.

I truly cannot understand why people who know nothing about dogs, and who seem to have no particular affection for them at any rate, buy a dog in the first place. Both of these dogs are obviously starved not only for food but for simple affection. It breaks my heart. And they know it. And so they move in. Good grief.

How very many dogs I have had in Bali, without asking for a single one of 'em!

No comments: