Visits

Saturday, May 1, 2021

Fly-By-Night Neighbors

 My temporary neighbors, Louis is Wayne, have now left the house next door to mine and moved down to Sawangan, and did so rather suddenly. I mean, I knew they would move as soon as their new place was ready, but I kinda thought they mention it to me when they actually left. As it happened, I was surprised to wake one morning and find they had gone. Talk about fly-by-night, right? 

So it actually feels kind of lonely now, not having any commotion next door, or visitors to my place--or, indeed, smoothies delivered to my door in the morning. But oh well, I'll get used to it. 

The news is that Louis' brother will move into the place for a short time, and that (I think) my old bike will be sold to him--which is fine, as it will be good to have more room in the driveway. 

It may be that Louis and Wayne will will return to this neighborhood within a couple years, as their current plan is to build a large house just up the street from mine. But we'll see. Always lots of plans, lots of ideas. 

In other news, two more foreigners have recently been deported from Bali, again for refusing to observe the masking rules and for being stupid enough to proudly post their transgression on Instagram. These two women were from Singapore, if I remember rightly, and entered a supermarket without masks. They were expelled from the market, only to return with the 'cute' idea of painting a mask on one girl's face. She apparently succeeded in slipping past less-than-observant employees of the market, but then, as mentioned, posted the event and attracted the attention of the authorities. Bye-bye. 

The point is, this is not a joke. Indonesia is suffering the most serious consequences of COVID in all of Southeast Asia, and people are dying. Masks are required by law, not optional. How very inconsiderate of these tourists, therefore, to treat it all as a joke. 


No comments: