Visits

Monday, May 31, 2021

Home Is Where You Make It


 Look what I found inside my roll of paper towels. 

Yes, it's a bit indistinct at first, and for that reason, given the recent incident involving rats in my easy chair, I'll admit that I initially jumped to the conclusion that this must be a mouse--perhaps the progeny of the two who had been living in my chair (maybe they were doing the wild thing in there, who knows?). 

But no, this is not a mouse. It's a frog. 


A frog inside my roll of paper towels on the second shelf above my kitchen sink. 

Why? 

In the past, my first question would have been 'how'? How could he could have gotten there, lest he had been put there by someone who could reach the second shelf above the sink in my kitchen. But I had learned previous to this time that frogs here are able to climb walls, unlike any I had known of in America, where they hop, and swim, and croak, but do not climb. In fact, when I took this guy back outside and emptied him out of his paper towel roll, the first thing he did was jump onto the wall and begin to climb to the open window, the same, no doubt, through which he had entered in the first place. 

But this doesn't answer the question 'why?'. Why climb the kitchen wall and slide down into the paper towel roll? There are so many more interesting places he could have explored--the sink, the dishes on the drying rack, the water cooler, the cozy duvet on the bed, or, hey, the wall garden in the back with it's row of bamboo. Why the roll of paper towels? How is this preferable to a damp sink or a row of bamboo? What's the plan here? 

Well, this we shall never know. 

No comments: