Visits

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

The Smoker's Paradox

 Smoking induces cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2), a hepatic enzyme involved in the metabolism of clopidogrel. Clopidogrel shows better inhibition of platelet aggregation in smokers than nonsmokers,8) and smokers are less likely to be hyporesponders than nonsmokers.

In plain language, this means that clopidogrel, the blood thinning drug typically used after a stroke, works more effectively in smokers than in non-smokers. Thus we call this the smoker's paradox, in that we all know that something that is bad for you cannot be good for you and yet in this case the thing that is bad for you is good for you, while still being bad for you. Got it?

Well I'm learning all sorts of fun facts as I study up on medicine, having become aware that the doctors here certainly aren't going to do it for me. Good thing we have the internet these days.

Another thing I have discovered is that the main odious symptoms I am suffering come not after all from the effects of medication but from the effects of the stroke itself. Severe headache, dizziness, vertigo, mild nausea. This is due to damage in the cerebellum, the area of the brain responsible for regulating senses such as sight and hearing, along with balance and so on. Even though I am using voice typing on my phone, it is still necessary to look at the screen and read the text and this has instantly given me a bloody bad headache. So I'm going to call it a night, and give it another shot tomorrow.


No comments: