Visits

Thursday, March 8, 2018

A Walk in the Park

I don't know if this walking program of mine is taking off any weight, but it sure is rackin' up my back. I have long had a problem with sciatica, which tends to kick in when I walk too far--such as through airports when travelling. Can't win, right? But oh well ... the sciatica is a mere nuisance compared to the relentless pain in my shoulder and neck, which seems to persist whether I walk or sit still. So, it was back to the Renon  park last night. I had to wait till after dark for the humidity to become bearable. One of the interesting things about Bali--and a thing for which I am truly grateful--is that anyone can walk about at night, even women, without fear of being bothered. And this is not due to any police presence--there is none--and it is not due to crime lighting--there is none. It is due to a cultural, societal agreement that you do not go out and bother people at night. Oh, it does happen occasionally, most often in the wee hours of the morning, and in the form of a quick crash and snatch on the road. But, of course, that's far past my bedtime.  

No comments: