Visits

Monday, August 13, 2018

A Coincidental Cure

I seem accidentally to have discovered the cure for restless leg syndrome. Perhaps I will soon be recognized by the American Medical Association. Or, then again, perhaps my cure is a matter of coincidence and will be short-lived. All I know at present is that for the last three nights, the RLS has been absent. 

Here's what happened: 

The weather, providing its own sort of coincidence, had been quite chilly for some days--something which had not happened before in my seven years here--such that it actually occurred to me to sleep under a blanket rather than just a sheet. The only blanket in the house happened to be of a quite heavy sort (and why it had even come here with us to Indonesia, I cannot now imagine). 

In any case, being under this heavy blanket, and rather toasty, seems to have ended the nightly dance of RLS throughout my body. What a pleasure it has been to lie down and sleep through the night without suffering the wakeful conniptions of RLS! 

The trouble with this "cure" is that the Bali temperatures will surely return to stifling soon, in which case a heavy blanket will surely be quite as uncomfortable as the RLS itself. 

Moreover, as I have said, the cure may be an illusion to begin with--a product of happy though unsustainable coincidence.

But ah well--even night-long cures are better than no cures at all.  

No comments: