Visits

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Apocalyptic?

Yet another earthquake last night. I don't know yet what the Richter number was. Seemed smaller than the one the night before, but then again I was in bed this time around, so it was more like a rocking boat than a rocking earth. I do know that tourists are now being evacuated from Lombok (the epicenter). 

I suppose that if this were happening in America, some dimwit would be saying that it's God's punishment of the wicked. In fact, I just read this morning about a pastor saying that the California fires are a punishment for that state's liberal attitude toward homosexuality. Lol. Good Lord, save us not from the homosexuals but from the ignorance of so-called religious people. Consider, by the way, that on Lombok, homosexuality is legally forbidden. So hey, they're doing their part, God, why strike them with earthquakes? Pfft. 

Why is it, I wonder, that men keep trying to press God into the confines of their own miniscule capacity for thought and reason? What God is he, then, other than the god of stupidity and smallness? 

Well, as a fortuitous antidote to all this foolishness, I happen to be reading David Bentley Hart's wonderfully intelligent (and intelligently hilarious) book, The Atheist Delusions, wherein one of the most interesting things he points out, so far as I've read, is that there is often no essential difference between the atheist and the "Christian" (so-called), for they are quite equal in their own special form of simple-mindedness. 

No comments: