Visits

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Another Challenge

Yet another facial recognition challenge today. As I entered the Starbucks in Sanur, a woman whom I seem somehow to know but don't know why said, "Hi! You look so awesome these days!"

Interesting. 

As I've said, there seemed something familiar about the face, but I don't know how I know her, or from where. Moreover, the fact that she said "these days" would suggest that I have known her for some time, as apparently a comparison is being made with other days--those being days, perhaps, when I didn't look 'so awesome'?

Of course, I'm happy to be awesome, especially in the opinion of this fairly lovely young woman, but I'm discouraged to find, once again, that my brain is decidedly less than awesome. How does one follow up on such a compliment when his brain is stuck on the simple problem of recognition--I know her, but who is she? Not a good place from which to start a conversation. 

Stuck between a rock and a hard place. I cannot say 'Who are you?' because 1) It would make her feel unimportant and 2) It would make me feel stupid. I cannot say the next likely thing, such as 'Are you still working at such-and-such an establishment' or 'Are you still living in this or that place', because I have no idea where she works or if she works or what place she may have lived. 

That was this morning. It is evening now, and I'm still trying to figure out how I know this girl. Is she an employee at one of the Starbucks I frequent? Is she someone I used to know when I lived in Sanur? Is she a friend of my ex-wife's? I have no idea. 

Truly, I should have paid more attention to the investigative techniques in the old Sherlock Holmes stories I used to read, which might have allowed me to deduce this woman's identity. As things stand, however, I will have to be content with just being awesome.

No comments: