Visits

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Sweet Dreams

I've been knocked out of the game (of life as we know it) by the flu, otherwise known as masuk angin hereabouts. This is exacerbated, mood-wise, anyway, by ceaseless rain for the last two days. Just about like being back in Oregon, except that the weather in Oregon would likely be quite nice just now. Beam me over, Scotty! It's not supposed to be raining here, actually. That should not start until October at the soonest. So the weather is really transgressing against the seasonal rules. But as Mark Twain said, regarding the weather, everybody complains, nobody does anything about it.

But of course the cabin fever hits me eventually just as hard as the flu, and I must get out for coffee, come hell or high water (both of which did show up in some form along the way). So here I am kind of sopping and dripping in my seat at Starbucks and feeling kind of nostalgic about the dry pleasures of cabin fever. I did remember to bring my rain smock this time around--although fat lot of good it does, because of course as one rides the motorbike through the weather, the rain comes down and sideways and up, finding ways of either dripping down or splashing up into any open area, making the smock more of a fashion statement than a useful device against the rain. It is sitting in the chair opposite mine just now and looking equally drippy and miserable. 

But here's the good news: I read this morning that cinnamon is good for MS, possessing properties, according to the science, that decrease symptoms. This is good news because I love cinnamon! Really. I have a piece of cinnamon toast nearly every day. I hate to think how I'd feel if I didn't.  

Cinnamon has long been known in general for its medicinal qualities. It is high, for instance, in antioxidants (and one does not want to be too oxidated, right?).  It has anti-inflammatory properties, helping to fight infection and to repair tissue damage (although for these maladies, I do not know whether it should be swallowed or bodily wallowed in). It may cut the risk of heart disease (not worried about that). It can improve sensitivity to insulin (something my son may want to consider). It lowers blood sugar levels (again, beneficial for my son). It may have beneficial effects on neurodegenerative diseases (that's where I come in). It may protect against cancer (well, I've been eating my cinnamon toast and I don't have that problem so far, fingers crossed). It helps fight bacterial and fungal infections (although, again, I do not know if one is supposed to eat it or rub it on the fungus in question). And lastly, cinnamon may help fight the HIV virus (although abstinence has also been found to be helpful). 

Finally, it is very tasty on toast with sugar and goes well with a plate of bacon and eggs. 

No comments: