Visits

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

My Cup of Tea

I've decided that pressing warm teabags to the skin of my ear will cure the cancer there. 

I have no idea why. 

In the meantime, I'm over at my coffee spot watching the midterm results on YouTube. Sort of like the Macy's parade or an NFL game without the entertainment or excitement. 

Raining big time this morning, as it has done the last few mornings, and I'm beginning to wonder how I will wash and dry my laundry. Happens every year. I guess it gets done somehow. 

I'm also taking money every day from the ATM in case the teabags don't work and I have to have my ear chopped off. This is one of the more irritating, and inconvenient things about 'the system' in Indonesia. Foreign residents cannot have an Indonesian bank account, which means that I must withdraw from my American bank account at one of the few ATMs that will accept the American card, and the amount one can withdraw per day is only 3 million rupiah. We also cannot have a credit card. 

Another irritating thing is that foreign residents cannot buy a car or a motorbike. They must have an Indonesian citizen do it for them. This rule, ostensibly, is meant to keep the amount of traffic on the roads down; but I think that issue might be better addressed by making sure that the local drivers have a license and a registration for a car or bike, which often enough they do not. Improving/widening the roads and creating new roads might also be useful. Just sayin. 

No comments: