Visits

Friday, November 2, 2018

The Grudge

On Halloween Eve, as a way of being 'festive', or of acknowledging the day, I made the mistake (again) of watching the movie The Grudge (again). Scares the piss out of me every time. I guess this is one of the hazards of having a very poor memory. One has a general impression about the nature of a movie he has seen several times in the past, but no recollection of the specifics. Spine tingling scenes tingle just as powerfully as they did the first time. 

Curiously, on Halloween night, after watching the flick, I had no trouble sleeping at all. I suffered no paranoid delusions that the slithering, gurgling ghost in the movie was crawling about the rooms in my house. A delayed reaction had occurred, for some reason. Nonetheless, last night the ghost was extremely active in my mind, which preferred to replay scenes from the movie instead of falling asleep. And then when I slept, I dreamed of the ghost! 

You know, there's nothing worse than a ghost that cannot be eradicated. As the story goes, anyone entering the house where this double murder and subsequent suicide depicted in the movie occurred is 'infected' forever after by the ghosts that haunt that house. You cannot hide from them. There is nowhere to run. You cannot 'kill' the ghosts. You have now become their focus and they will pursue you till death. Yours, that is.

No comments: