Visits

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A Difference of Opinion

I appear often enough to have stepped on some metaphorical toes in that there are those who have been offended or angered by something I've written here, sometimes saying so in no uncertain terms, more often by simply not returning. So sorry. But look here, these are only my own viewpoints and opinions. They don't require agreement, and it may happen in time that I don't even agree with myself. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said something like this: 'Hear me today, consider what I say, but don't make doctrine of it because I may change my mind tomorrow'. Not that I'm equal to Ralph Waldo Emerson, or even to Alfred E. Neuman. People these days have forgotten how to disagree civilly, to welcome debate, to see the other side and introduce balance by expressing their own viewpoint. Now the finger goes straight to the delete button. Now the answer to philosophical differences is silence. Speak and you will find me pleasant and humble and willing to grow. 

No comments: