Visits

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Hello, Who Are You?

When I entered Starbucks this morning, the young barista behind the counter greeted me happily, chatted a bit, and then, apparently detecting a shade of perplexity, said "Do you remember me?"

Well, I thought, having just yesterday written about my mother's struggle to appear "ept", such that she would often pretend to know people, I'll just be honest.

"No. I'm sorry. I don't remember you."

Now that wasn't so hard, was it? 

So the woman, looking a bit disappointed, took the trouble to explain that she used to work at this Starbucks, then she moved to another, and now she was back again. 

"Now do you remember?"

I wanted to say, Oh, yes, now I remember. But I stuck with the truth.

"I'm sorry, I don't. What's your name?"

She told me, but … um … I've already forgotten. Damn! 

At the same time, another woman who I know but have not seen in a  long while came in to Starbucks and I knew her immediately. Even her name. Go figure. 

In the meantime, back in Amerika, my stepson begins to speak of "taking care of me" when he is able, maybe two years. Good grief. What is my world coming to?

No comments: