Visits

Monday, July 15, 2019

Elderly

I seem to have grown old over the last year, and especially the last six months. Most notably over this long period of illness, which yet persists. I look in the mirror and see new vertical wrinkles on my forehead crisscrossing with the old horizontal ones. Looks like a map of the canals of Mars. Dark racoon-like circles beneath my eyes. I go for a coffee in the morning, which, actually, has turned to tea or some other substitute given my stomach's newfound inability to tolerate coffee, chat a moment with the Barista, and then say, 'I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name.' 'That's okay,' she says, 'you're pretty old.' At a later point in the day, I am explaining the problem I'm having with my stomach to another young woman and she says, 'That's okay. You're pretty old.' I seem to have crossed a dividing line between seasoned and elderly. And I suspect there's no going back. 

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Hi there. I'd love to have a chat with you about traveling and short term living in Bali with MS, if you have the time? I can't seem to send you an email through your blog.

R.W. Boughton said...

Elisabeth--Hmm, that's odd. You should be able to reach me at richybeester@gmail.com. I am also on Facebook, messenger through Facebook, and WhatsApp. Feel free to 'friend' me. I'd be glad to chat with you.