Visits

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Doormat

I have here at the house a number of old towels--ragged, rectangular things which I have long used as floor mats--and when I was washing these things this morning, I suddenly had to ask myself this question: Why? 

Why am I washing these ragged, chewed up (thanks to the parade of dogs that have hung out at the house over the years), frayed and discolored floor mats? It's not as if I'm going to use one next time I take a bath. Or as if I'm going to use the edge of one as a napkin. What will I be using these for? Well, to step on. Or to wipe water off the floor. Or to keep the entryway dry when it is raining outside.

But here I am filling up the washing machine, dumping in detergent, putting the thing on whirl, draining the tank, refilling it, and even adding fabric softener … Why? Lol. 

Honestly, I cannot give myself credit for this sudden fit of good reasoning--for I had merely noticed, you see, that the maid, who comes one day a week, is in the habit of rinsing the towels in water and then just hanging them in the sun. It was she, therefore, who had exhibited good reasoning, where I had only, and rather belatedly, acknowledged the thing. 

I can't help but wonder how many other pointless things I have been doing as a matter of habit. 

Simplify, simplify, simplify. 

No comments: