Visits

Monday, August 6, 2018

Earthquake on the Big Rock Candy Mountain

Another earthquake last night, and a pretty good shake at that! 6.8 on the Richter scale, they say, originating in the area of Lombok (again). Sadly, I read this morning that 38 were killed. My ex-wife happened to be at the house at the time this occurred, and was fairly panicked, such that she clung to me as if I were the only stable object in the universe. (Strangely, I am the only stable object in her current universe, but I'm hoping that will change for the better down the road). 

After the earthquake, I found that a little baby bird had been deposited on my front porch. We brought it out to the backyard and sat it on the table, where it stayed for a couple hours. Later, it was gone from the table, but then reappeared, somehow, inside the house, sort of skittering/flapping back and forth across the floor. At that point, I sat the little critter on the tall statue in the front yard, and I find him gone this morning.

In an unrelated incident (or I assume it is unrelated), I found two tiny ants in the sealed Tupperware sugar container--which is a bit of a mystery to me. I had just recently poured the sugar into this plastic container with a screw-on lid for the very purpose of keeping out the ants, legions of which hide in my backyard and kitchen, ready to rush out at the first hint of a crumb or droplet to be devoured. 

But these two lone ants, doubtlessly brothers or at least first cousins, somehow found a way into the container, and I found them running hither and thither on the vast field of sweet snow this morning. The thing is, sugar granules here in Bali are not nearly as small as the sand-like sugar we find in the States; and these ants are in fact so small, that the individual granule is larger than they. What then are they to do with the stuff? 

"Praise God!" the one was heard to say. "We're in heaven, Oscar!" 

"Quite the contrary, Walter," retorted the other as he faced the nearest boulder on the slope of this great and unassailable rock candy mountain, "for we are surely in hell, where one hungers but cannot consume, thirsts but cannot be quenched!"

Well, I plucked the first from bliss and the second from torment, and transferred the sugar to a new Tupperware option. Take that! 

No comments: