Visits

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Unwelcome Companions

I was sitting out on my porch yesterday evening, just after dark, when suddenly a rat (yes, a rat) came strolling out from behind my chair and between my feet, not in any particular hurry at all. 

"Whoa! Hold on there, buster. What the hell?"

He looks to the right, he looks to the left, he looks up. 

"Oh, sorry, I didn't see you there." Still in no particular hurry. 

"You didn't see two giant feet about three times your size?" 

"Oh, are those feet?" he says skeptically. "I thought they were potatoes."

And with this, he walks on, still in no hurry. 

What's become of rats nowadays? It's outrageous!

This reminds me of a time when I was eating at an restaurant down in Sanur with my friend Adam. As soon as our food emerged from the kitchen, rats emerged from the bushes and street gutter. And these were big rats, nearly as big as cats. Certainly much bigger than potatoes. They were also bold rats, arrogant rats, much like the rat of this evening. They literally strolled about freely, unperturbed, mere inches from our feet. 

Adam was quite vocal in his horror and indignation. 

"What is this? Rats? You can't have rats in a restaurant. Someone ought to do something about this. Someone ought to complain. In fact, I'm going to complain right now. Mbak! Mbak! Ada tikus di sini! Dua, tiga, empat tikus. Tikus besar!"

The waitress dutifully appears and scrutinizes the rats. 

"Iya, Tuan," she says. "Sudah tahu."

As in So?

"I can't eat with rats!" 

"Do you want to order something else?"

"I didn't order rats in the first place!"

Well, that was the end of dinner. How can one eat with rats? Like children, they no longer know their bounds. 

No comments: