Visits

Saturday, September 19, 2020

RLS

 Having a lot of trouble over the past few days with sudden shooting pains in my limbs, fingers, toes, and even in my head. These were accompanied last night by a return of some serious RLS. The pains are lightning bolt sensations, as if one had just been stung by a bee or stepped on a nail, occurring in the toes, fingers, wrists, elbows, calves. My legs feel hot and irresistibly compelled to jump about in the bed. Instead of sleeping, I spend my night seeking an elusive position of comfort, some position which will allow my body to rest. And then sometime in the wee small hours, still dark outside, I began to experience knife-like pains in one side of my face, from the top of my head to just behind my eye. This morning, the flash pains in my limbs persist and my neck is stiff and aching, finding no position of relief and no comfort with massage. Oh, and then there are the muscle twitches. Forgot to mention those. Isolated muscles, especially in my right arm, twitch and flutter with a mind of their own. All of this I suppose, or most of it anyway, can be ascribed to acute on chronic neuropathic pain and dysesthesias associated with MS, and it has all steadily progressed over the last four years ago. It is the same with the intense heat sensation that I suffer in my upper torso, from the shoulders and neck to the top of my head. The pregabalin I take is supposed to address all of this, and does to at least to some extent. Come to think of it, I did not take any pregabalin at all yesterday--the stuff is damnably expensive--so maybe that was part of the problem. Who knows? In any case, I had hoped to go to the beach this morning, maybe even swim, but after a night typified more by wakefulness and torment than by rest, I feel exhausted and listless. Once I finish my coffee, I'll probably just go back home and lie down.

No comments: