Visits

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Hieroglyphics

 Here we go again. Bali entered a new lockdown on Saturday which is to last two weeks, by current estimation. Marching steadily backward, as I've said. This means that the beaches will be closed and restaurants will offer only takeaway food and drinks. Everything opens for business later in the morning and closes earlier in the evening. I went out to Starbucks this morning and found, of course, that I could only order my latte and take it away with me. So I'm writing this at home, having made my own instant coffee. Frustrating to watch America go back to normal and have no of this in sight here in Bali. 

Last week when Louis went to get her second vaccination, she asked again if I could get the vaccine and was told again that I cannot. Bummer. This is apparently because of my MS (although MS is no problem in America, where vaccine is concerned).  Oh well. 

Speaking of Louis, she and Wayne have moved back into the house next door to mine, where they will stay while their electricity is rerouted in their house down in Nusa Dua (perhaps a week). They have brought along their puppy, Etta, and she has been having a great time with the six neighborhood puppies here. 

For the last couple days, I've been having headaches accompanied by these weird neon-bright lights in my eye. Hard to describe them. They're almost like hieroglyphic shapes, neon hieroglyphics, and they occupy a crescent shaped area in my left eye, partially blocking the vision. This is called kaleidoscopic vision (as if one were looking through a kaleidoscope), and is associated with ocular migraine and, of course, MS. I was so excited yesterday to actually find an artist's depiction of this, because I thought I was crazy for a while there. Who sees neon hieroglyphics? There are various manifestations of this problem, but one rendition in particular very much resembled what I was experiencing. I've had this before at times over the past few years, but it had been quite a while since it last happened. Why is is occurring now? Does it signal a new attack of MS? I don't know. 

No comments: