Visits

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

We're Number One!

 I read today that Indonesia has surpassed India in COVID cases. Good job, Indonesia? Hundreds of people are going to the hospital, and the hospitals are of course near the point of collapse. Vaccinations proceed at a crawl, or in my case not at all. I think I will call my neurologist at Kasih Ibu Hospital and ask him if the vaccine site people know what they are talking about. 

A friend of mine who lives just outside of Jogyakarta tells me that her entire town has been locked down such that no one can come in and no one can go out. All of the businesses there have been closed. She herself has two friends who have died. 

Here in Bali, we are still in lockdown--beach access closed, takeaway only at cafes and restaurants, and a curfew is in effect after 8 pm. 

On the other hand, it was wonderful to see the large, safely mask-less attendance at President Biden's recent speech on voter suppression. Couldn't help but feel envious from this side of the world where there seems no end to disease, death, and masks, as well as the ever-increasing poverty of the locals who are unable to work. 

God help us. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found the mask less audience a bit surprising