Visits

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Liberation Day

 I've just finished reading Liberation Day, a collection of short stories by George Saunders, touted as being 'the best short story writer in English'. Umm, no, I don't think so. Sure, a few of the offerings in this collection are well done little pieces--sketches, really, more than short stories--but even these can hardly represent the best writing being done in English. Others, and unfortunately the longer ones in the collection, range from downright bad to downright unreadable. Yes, folks, I was fooled, once again, by the hype. But what can you do? Live and learn, I suppose. And avoid Saunders in the future. I mean Jeeze I'm an old man, I don't have this much time to waste. Nor do I like wasting my money. Pisses me off. So, I have for the time being taken a safe step for the near future and have purchased a history of the Market Garden Campaign of World War II, by Anthony Beevor, a historian with whom I am familiar and can trust for a good read. 

No comments: