Visits

Friday, August 4, 2023

No Smoking in the Smoking Area

 First off, the patio out front of Bread Basket cafe is a smoking patio. That's why it is outdoors. That's why there are ashtrays on the tables. 

So, a fat bule and his fat wife are sitting at the table to my left. I am happily reading my book and smoking a cigarette. The fat people finish their breakfast, rise to walk behind me, and as the fat man passes, he reaches over my shoulder, picks up my cigarette from the lip of the ashtray and drops it in my coffee. As he walks away and down the steps, he continually turns to challenge me with his eyes and, I suppose, his morbid obesity. 

I begin to laugh. I light a fresh cigarette. 

Clearly not the kind of people we need in Bali, or, really, anywhere in the world.

I should add that in cases where someone has asked me, more or less politely, to put out my cigarette (and there have been such cases), I have done so without complaint. It's not a big deal. There is, after all, a civil way of interacting with others--although, sadly,  this is more in theory than in practice these days. 

Astounding, isn't it, how one can live among foreign people in a foreign culture for thirteen years and never have a problem until a western tourist shows up at the next table?

1 comment:

Christoph said...

my first thought was “Where were they from?” but then I thought “doesńt matter where they were from”
In the end I have to say u were much smarter than me by just taking it with laughter.