Visits

Thursday, December 21, 2017

A Stranger in my Bed

This is what Bali dogs do. They come around the house shyly at first. Growing more comfortable, they come around more often. Then they come around every day. And then they simply move in. Having discovered that they can receive both affection and food, they begin to test the boundaries. Will he mind if I chew this shoe? Will he mind if I take this sandal home with me? Will he mind if I sit on his feet? Hmm ... will he mind if I get up on the bed. 

The big fat brown dog found that boundary today; for, coming in from the back yard, I found her sprawled out on my bed in all her putrid glory.

Now, back in America, I didn't mind our dogs being on the bed, for they were the beneficiaries of regular baths, smelled fairly good, and were bug free. The big fat brown dog, however, has never had a bath in her long (for a dog's) life. So, no, I don't care to sleep with fleas and ticks and God knows what all, not to mention the odor she carries with her wherever she goes. And I would dare anyone to try to bathe her (for that is where the big fat brown dog draws her own line). 

Thus, I chased her off the bed straightaway--and thought the matter concluded. Nonetheless, the next time I looked away, she was back on the bed again, forcing me to expel her with greater vigor--at which she took some offense and left the house. But of course she was back an hour later, having forgotten the incident, though remembering, apparently, that she was not welcome on the bed. We'll see. 

I don't know what has happened to the big fat brown dog's family. It may be, as with most people here, that they don't let her into the house itself, and so she may, during this especially rainy season, be looking for a cozy warm place until the weather improves. 

In any case, I'm sure she'll be back tonight, to watch with me whatever old Christmas movie I happen to find online. 

But not from the bed! 


No comments: