Visits

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Father's Xmas

This Christmas season, I'm missing my children. I suppose that's always the case. But it just seems like more the case than ever before this year. Maybe I wouldn't miss them so much if one or more of them actually called or sent me a note or something. I'm talking about one natural child and four step-children, the oldest 43, the youngest 17. You'd think I had treated them horribly or something--you know, like an abusive father or a strict disciplinarian. I don't know--maybe I'd be more popular now if I had been one or the other of those. But honestly, folks, I was a very kind, loving father. Not perfect, no--but I tried for all I was worth. I raised my own son alone from the time he was 4, and I raised and loved four stepchildren just as if they had been my own. And yet here we are. Silence. Whether I was a good father or not becomes a moot point. What is clear is that I was a very forgettable father. 

1 comment:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

It is so sad when kids dont contact us. I try to remember how busy I was at their ages. I didnt realize my parents wanted to hear from me more often than I took the time to. Try reaching out to them maybe? So sorry you are in this situation