Visits

Friday, December 15, 2017

The Island Without a Christmas Tree

I think I've already mentioned that I've been watching a bunch of Christmas movies during this season. I can't help but notice that quite a few of these titles include the word "without" -- you know, like The Town Without Christmas or The Christmas Without Santa, or the House Without a Christmas Tree. So, it got me to thinking about a title of my own: The Decade Without a Christmas Tree. Even though I've not yet been here in Bali for a decade, I'm closing in on it fast and will make it within three years, assuming, of course, that I don't kick the bucket first, in which case we would have The Christmas Without Me. 

So, why no Christmas tree in so many years? 

Well, I guess first off, a Christmas tree would just seem strangely out of place. I mean, there's no such thing here as a fir tree or a pine tree. Then again, I suppose there are places in the US where there is no such thing, either. I guess I'm just used to living in the very midst of the evergreen forests of Oregon, such that trees of the Christmas sort seem the most natural thing in the world. A Christmas Cactus would seem odd, as would a Christmas Palm Tree.
 
I doubt whether one could even buy a real Christmas tree here in Bali--or, if he could, it would no doubt cost an arm and a leg. Moreover, it would surely suffer instant dehydration and wilt to death in the first day.

Of course, they do sell fake trees. I actually entertained the notion of purchasing one of these, setting it up in a corner and watchfully awaiting the magical appearance of presents. But then I saw the price of one of these fake trees in the mall, and a bony little thing at that, and said No. Or rather, Oh hell, no.

Still, it's curious that so many Christmases are "without" something. Or perhaps it's not. It may be that we feel at baseline that life in general is lacking something; and it is this something, in the plotline of so many movies, that is magically, and for once, supplied during Christmas--love, spirit, warmth, a home, a husband, a wife, and so on. 

And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown. 


No comments: