Visits

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Birthday Thoughts

Every morning when I go out for coffee, I bring my laptop along with me, because one never knows when it's going to have something to say--and you can bet that if I don't bring it, that will be the time that it wants to speak. So I bring it along and open it up and set it on the table beside my latte and wait. Of course, often enough it has nothing whatsoever to say, but just sits there and stares at me. Sometimes, it will pipe up about something inconsequential, like the weather--although I shouldn't say "inconsequential", because in fact we had such a violent storm last night, with a terrific light show and booming thunder and an absolute flood of rain, that this has surely been "consequential" for many. The only consequence at my house was the loss of the internet connection, but certainly many must have lost electricity and suffered from swamped streets and ground floors. It is being said today by many folks I know that this was the greatest storm they have seen during their time in Bali. I would agree that the weather here can indeed be quite "weathery"--thoroughly awesome in its intensity, with cannon-like thunder that actually makes you jump even though you know from the lightning flash that it is coming. The only comparably violent storms I have seen were in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

So, it's my birthday today, and my laptop sends me a smattering of generic good wishes from various acquaintances, who have themselves been reminded by their own laptops or phones--Today is Richard's birthday! Send him good wishes! Oh, yeah ... well, okay. Happy Birthday, Richard! Social media is good at reminding us to be social. And if you forget someone's birthday, it's not your fault. It's the fault of your software. So far, my birthday festivities include having a free coffee and then having lunch with my ex-wife. I can barely contain my excitement. The good news is that good old Iadi has just started his shift at Starbucks and has brought me a second free coffee. I am loved, after all. 




No comments: