Visits

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Imas

I met a young woman here some years ago during a time when I was combing Sanur for coffee spots that were cheap but cozy. During the course of that search, I happened to stop in at a place called " Bahagia". This was a rather large establishment, generally devoid of customers, but I found that the price of coffee was quite good, and the coffee itself was good, and the waitress, Imas, was delightful. She was new in Bali, originally from Java, and had come here for employment, which is very typical of girls from Java. She was keenly interested in learning English, and was also keenly interested in finding a husband (again, typical). I wasn't available in the latter category, but we became friends and I helped her on the way with her English. I discovered also in the course of our conversations that she was being paid dirt cheap wages and was compelled to work seven days a week.

"Imas," I said, "don't you know that you can find work in almost any restaurant here and make twice as much money?"

"I don't know," she said. 

"Well, of course you can. Your hours here, and your wages, are ridiculous!" 

"But what can I do? I'm scared. I don't know anyone."

"Scared?"

"Yes. Can you help me? Can you get me another job? You know a lot of people, yes?"

Well ... no. Nonetheless, I began to ask around, and I found several places that were looking for waitresses. Before long, I was able to take Imas to an interview at a place called "Chill It", run by a Norwegian ex-patriate. Imas was hired on the spot, and was now making almost three times the salary she had made at Bahagia. 

Not only was she making more money, but she began to meet more men, and little by little we saw less and less of one another. We stayed in touch through social media, and I followed her story of multiple suitors and multiple disappointments. Each time, she fell madly in love; and each time ended up crushed. One prospect, as I recall, was found not only to be already married, but sharing a room with a prostitute when Imas cheerily, and unexpectedly, showed up one morning. 

Finally, however, I see that Imas is engaged to be married. I had noted through Facebook that she was often visiting a man in Australia, and now that man has proposed, and Imas has a ring.

Good on her, as the Australians say. She worked long and hard, she learned English quite well, brought her little daughter from Jova (who had been living with her parents) and now seems set for a fulfilling and a comparatively opulent life. A happy beginning, and a happy ending, I hope. 


No comments: