Visits

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Proposal

Sabrina is an online acquaintance of mine here in Bali. I have never actually met the girl in person, though I've spoken to her three or four times through Instant Messenger. I don't know much about her, other than that she is still quite young (20-21?) and seems to dream on a daily basis of love and marriage. 

I was surprised, therefore, when she contacted me yesterday and asked whether she could talk to me 'privately'. I don't know any other way to talk on Instant Messenger, but anyway I said of course, what's on your mind? 

"You're single now, right Om?" (Om means uncle and is a common way of addressing an older foreign man). 

"Yes." 

"Okay. Here's the thing. I want you to capture my mother's heart so that she will fall in love with you." 

"Umm …" 

"The reason is because she meets men online who are not sincere. They say they want to be with her, but all they want is to get her money." 

"Well …" 

"And then, Om, after you marry her, I can be your daughter, and you can give me away to my husband when I get married." 

"Uh …" 

"And I can tell you're a nice man. I know you're a nice man. So that's what I want for my mother." 

"But, Sabrina, don't you think that your mother will have to choose for herself? I mean, she will need to decide what kind of man she likes." 

"No, Om. That's not how it works. Here, it is better if the children choose the man, because they want someone who will be good for their mother. I know, because my cousin did it, and now her mother has a good husband and she is very happy." 

"Yes, but …" 

"Please, Om? Can you just do it?"

"But, sweetheart, I have no money and I'm in poor health." 

"Money no problem, Om. My mother has money, and she can take care of you."

Huh … this is sounding better all the time! Lol. 

No comments: