Visits

Friday, June 29, 2018

First Thing

Sometimes, one doesn't really feel like doing anything first thing in the morning. Usually, I don't, for usually I am feeling groggy and rather stiff and painful, and often enough my damn arm has gone dead. Nonetheless, after one cup of coffee, I force myself to throw on a pair of shorts and a tank top and head out the door for my morning walk. 

Getting out the door, I find, is the key, and things begin to look up by the time I get to the top of my short lane and take a right toward the cow pasture. Firstly, the big fat brown dog will usually be waiting outside her house for me and will jump up, tail wagging, which injects a sort of liveliness into the venture. 

The big fat brown cows also always raise my spirits. I don't know why, but cows just seem very pleasant and interesting to me. Many will be on the road outside the confines of the pasture, so that you can pet them as you walk by. They are so slow, so hughly graceful somehow, with their big, brown, sincere eyes and lazily swishing tails. 

Before long, I find myself chugging along, lungs full of the cool morning air, heart renewed by the exuberance of the big dog's gait and the kindliness of the cows and of the people along the way who call out hello, good morning, good day! 

By the time I get home, along with the big dog, who now expects a sausage, I feel enlivened and hungry for breakfast. I could have given into lethargy, or the tendency to nurse my various aches and pains with a salve of inaction, and sit and drink coffee and smoke cigarettes instead, but this has been much better. It is always much better. 

It's just getting started. That's the key. 





No comments: