Visits

Sunday, December 2, 2018

The Mystery of the Laron

I was watching an old movie last night called The House of Fear, starring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes, with Nigel Bruce as Doctor Watson. This had just happened to pop up on my YouTube page for some reason. Strange how that happens. Apparently the site is somehow aware that I and my brother used to enjoy watching these old Holmes flicks on a rainy day back when we were just tykes and presumed that I might be interested in watching them again. Of course, these Holmes flicks, produced during the '40's, weren't all that old back when we were tykes.

Early impressions are lasting and persuasive, and for that reason, Basil Rathbone stays with me as the best ever to have portrayed the British sleuth. 

Honestly, The House of Fear was a rather silly story, and a predictable one; nonetheless, I was so immersed in the 'mystery' that I did not notice the swarm of laron that had entered the house. Laron is the Indonesian word for the flying brown termites that mysteriously appear at the most pressing height of the day's humidity, just before or just after a big rain. They are attracted to light, which of course is why they had come flocking into the house, and they retain their wings for only a short while. 

So, I looked up from The House of Fear to find myself in the house of laron, swallowed in a veritable storm of flying brown bugs. 

So much for the movie--for cleaning these critters out of the house requires time and effort. And a broom. Later on today, I will need to clean off the kitchen counters and sink in the back, for everything is covered with a blanket of brown wings. 

Where did the bugs themselves go, minus their wings? Well, my der Watson, that remains a mystery.  

No comments: