Visits

Sunday, January 19, 2020

The Complaining Dutchman Strikes Again

Well, Peter the complaining Dutchman is up to it again. The man lives to complain. A day is not complete without a complaint. 

This time around, his complaint is about Takut the dog. He contacted the villa owner and claimed that the dog is a problem, and said that other people think so too. 

So the owner got on the villa community WhatsApp and took a survey of residents, asking for their feelings about the dog. Every one of the residents answered that the dog is no problem for them, most adding that they liked him or that they thought him cute or that he made them feel safe at night, knowing that he will be on the lookout for strangers. 

Seems that Peter's fellow complainers are a figment of Peter's imagination. 

Moreover, those who speak Indonesian, which is pretty much everyone other than Peter, went on to argue that Peter himself is the problem, and that perhaps he, not the dog, should find another place to live. 

I tend to agree. Takut himself does not. He likes Peter. 

Anyway, I told the owner that I would be leaving in about three months' time, and that we should discuss the fate of Takut beforehand. I have never claimed ownership of the dog. On the other hand, it is the owner who paid for Takut's recent doctor visit and medicine. I'm happy to take the dog with me, I told her, while on the other hand, I would understand if the villa owner and residents felt he belonged here. Takut also feels that he belongs here, and would need to adjust to a whole new environment, new people, and new dogs were he to come with me. This could be difficult, as the villa here at Kampung Kumpul is enclosed, separated from the outside world, whereas the new place will be more of an open neighborhood community.

Then again, I suppose that Takut has adjusted all his life long. What he did or where he was before I found him living under the patio floor, I do not know. Whatever it was, he got through it, and he got through his period of hermitage under the floor, and he'll get through whatever comes next. That's Takut. That's his life. 

No comments: