Visits

Friday, April 10, 2020

Mountains and Molehills

I popped out briefly this morning to buy a token for my electricity meter, only to discover that 1) it is Good Friday and 2) the Post Office is not open on Good Friday. I think that no land in the world observes as many holidays as Bali.

So much for that plan.

But as I drove back home I noticed the presence of a sudden humongous mountain looming above Pantai Matahari Terbit (Sunrise Beach), and I said to myself, Holy cow, there's a huge mountain this morning!

Usually because of clouds or smog or whatever, this mountain cannot be seen. It may as well not be there (though woe to the pilot who adopts this attitude). But the air seemed especially clear and clean this morning, and there it was. An astounding sight. And it will likely be months before I see it again.

Other than that, this was another day of watching movies, swearing at the American news shows, or rather at a certain man often featured in the news, and taking naps.

The boys who like to play in the parking bay outside are once again being accused of somehow getting hold of the villa wifi password and using up all the wifi power, which brings back unpleasant memories of last year and of being accused of divulging the precious code myself (which I did not do).

The fact is that the wifi here sucks, and it sucks because of the lockdown, which has naturally resulted in massive use of the internet beyond the capacity of the providers to support such use. That is why the wifi is slow, not because of several boys who like to hang out in the shade of the parking bay. As an example, I was watching the old movie 'Hangover' this evening and had to sit through countless long pauses despite the fact that there were no boys present at the time.

I will mention also that Takut the dog received what was probably his first bath ever (if one does not count the times he has been caught in the rain). It seems that several people were complaining that Takut stinks and was shedding hair and scratching a lot, and so naturally these complaints were brought to me.

The thing is, in my permanently weak and wobbly state, the dog is much stronger than I. Nor is he particularly inclined to view me as an authority. It occurred to me, however, that I could attach him to his leash (used only once so far in the past) and coax him into the bathroom, which, unlike most bathrooms in Bali, actually has quite a lot of elbow room.

This did definitely take some pleading and coaxing, but he did at last enter the room completely enough to where I was able to shut the door behind him. Naturally, this caused a moment of panic, which itself was heightened when I turned on the shower water, but finally he calmed down and actually rather enjoyed himself ultimately I think, especially given that we have warm water here.

So I sudsed him up and rinsed him down, and now he's feeling fairly important, it seems. Rather happy with himself. And the other folks are happy too. So it's all good.  

No comments: