Visits

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Cock Fight

Yesterday evening the usual silence of my apartment complex was shattered by a sudden squawking, shrieking commotion. Lights went on, flashlights peered through the darkness, and it was discovered that the dog was confronting a rooster who had entered the grounds. It was one of those roosters that people around here raise for cock fights (sadly enough), and although the dog wanted very definitely to convey the idea that the bird should not be on the grounds, he was having nothing of an actual fight with the thing. Bark and swiftly retreat was his preferred tactic. Not so with the rooster, who continued to throw out his chest, squawk maniacally, and fly at the dog. Nor did the people here want anything to do with this fellow, preferring to retreat to their doorways, holding flashlights before them like light sabers. Holy cow, they said. What the ….

Well, at last someone from up the street came to "collect" the rooster, as, no kidding, it could be heard all over the neighborhood, and return him to his cage. And the dog heaved a sigh and returned to his mat outside my door. I myself don't believe in cock fights. I find them unkind, barbaric. Nonetheless, I'm betting on this critter next time they have one.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was entertaining

MB said...

I thought of you when I saw this research participation possibility on a group I belong to. https://gigs.savvy.coop/si-research/?r=27479

R.W. Boughton said...

MB: Thx. I'll check it out.