Visits

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Shoddy

Last night, Louis (my ex-wife) called to chat a bit and to ask me if I could go to the apartment next door (also owned by Louis) and look around to see if it was ready to 'show'. She had been told that it is, but wanted to be sure.

I was surprised this morning at what I found. The people managing this project are so friendly and seemingly able that I thought the place would be in a functional state similar to my own apartment. I guess 'friendly' is not always consistent with competent or thorough.  

Even upon entry, one finds that the door is difficult to open. One has to give it a good push, which is followed by the sound of the bottom of the door scraping on the floor tiles. Not cool, and not the best selling point for a prospective renter entering for the first time.

Turning on the water in the kitchen sink, I found that the flow is much weaker than in my place. Same with the shower. Why the water pressure would be different, I cannot imagine, but anyway there you have it.

The two solid doors which used to be installed at the back of the house, giving entry to the wall garden area, had been replaced with glass doors as requested, but the solid doors were still lying on the floor. Again, not a great thing to show renters. Moreover, the sliding lock newly placed on the garden doors is nonfunctional.

Having become accustomed to the pleasant appearance and good working order of my own place, this little tour was rather depressing. Naturally, I want her to be able to rent the place, but the place is in need of some very obvious adjustments, and I don't see how any of these problems could have escaped the notice of those responsible for the work. It is supposed to be a kost elite, a cut above the usual housing offering here in Bali, but ain't no one, after having a look around, is gonna consider this a kost elite.

I alerted Louis to the problems and I'm sure she will address them. As I've mentioned, Louis is still stuck in Australia due to Indonesia's closed to entry status, and this, naturally, has been unfortunate in that she has been unable to inspect these things for herself or supervise what is being done, or not being done.  

No comments: