Visits

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Zombies

I can't help but feel astounded every time I watch the news clips from the US, which I do every morning on YouTube. I see people in stores or in large groups wearing no mask. There was the news just recently (last week?) that Starbucks had decided to require masks in their stores. My God, this has been the case in Indonesia for months! In fact, until just recently all Starbucks outlets here were 'takeaway only', no hanging around inside or outside. All stores in Indonesia have long required masks for entry, and so people wear masks. What's the big deal? There are no anti-mask demonstrations here, no outraged customers throwing fits on aisle three, no one shouting about his 'freedom' of choice.

And what's all this about a mask interfering with First Amendment rights? Are you kidding me? Only in America, I guess.

Watching this is just so jarring--so embarrassing, in a way. It's like Americans are turning into zombies, wacko zombies, stumbling about in self-imposed stupor, not yet eating other Americans, but certainly endangering the general populace with their insistence on being imbecilic. It's like watching an endless train wreck--and the engineer driving the train is busy selling beans!

No comments: