Visits

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Reflections

My California cousin, David, sent this excellent piece of prose via e-mail this morning, and I have asked his permission to publish it here ...

A little burst of energy’s the thing even though I’m slow and feeling like I might be sick or something.  Sleep is like that - am I going to wake up at all, and when I do, assuming I do, what condition will I find myself in?  Will I be tired and feeling like I just can’t wait for my afternoon nap, will I be depressed and  wondering what can make life seem meaningful again, a sense of doom might be permeating my thoughts?  Or will I pop up like a fresh pancake looking for a slathering of butter and tasting great. It’s  definitely a crapshoot.  Lately I have been a mean and nasty person a good part of the day, especially the end.  This world is so screwed up I’m embarrassed to be a human being. What’s wrong with us anyway - we don’t seem to be much more than vicious animals fresh out of caves.  Everybody gotta have a weapon and killing seems to be the name of the game.  Hate and jealousy and entitlement and fear - what the fuck guys?  It’s very easy to believe that animals have emotions like love and family and caring when we realize that at least they are playing it straight up for survival from the same mammalian pool of existence.  In fact I have more respect for elephants than humans as a species.  If they could only shoot guns and defend themselves they would be a better apex than we have been.  So yeah if we are visited by aliens anytime soon, it will probably be to exterminate us, this plague of the planet before we completely do it to everything else. Like getting rid of the termites before they eat up the house. With that lovely thought.  I’m off to see the wizard, the wonderful shaman behind the curtain with his machines and levers and buttons to push to make the world seem bright and cheery.  Fallen fallen is Babylon but the coffee is good…

(Compliments of David Boughton)

No comments: