Visits

Friday, June 8, 2018

Smile

OMG! Young Ajus smiled at me today! A first. Unfortunately, there is no photo. One would have to act very quickly indeed, because the smile, almost as if it had startled itself as well as me, swiftly flew off like a bird before a cat about to leap. 

At the time, we had been sitting on the porch together. I was talking, Ajus was staring dispassionately at me as he chewed on a brownie. I had just said that I was about to go out and get a coffee, when Ajus jumped up and entered the house in front of me, then began to close the door behind him. 

"Hey, nunggu!" I exclaimed. Wait! 

And the last thing I saw as the door closed was a big smile spreading across his face. 

It was gone, of course, when I opened the door a second or two later. 

"You smiled!" I exclaimed. "Oh my gosh, you smiled, Ajus!" 

His answer to this was to stare at me dispassionately, chewing his brownie. He seemed distinctly unconvinced by the news that he had smiled. 

No comments: