Visits

Thursday, June 14, 2018

The Weather

As we move through May and June, the weather in south Bali becomes increasingly worldly, as opposed to other-worldly, in that there is actually a chill in the air at night and in the morning, which seems appropriate as worldly weather goes, and is not so hot during the day that you can't bear to sit outside. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting outside right now with my laptop, having a coffee. It's 10:30 am, sunny but mild, with a bit of a breeze whispering here and there. 

To be honest, through much of the year, Bali is distinctly less than a paradise, weather-wise. Either the humidity is suffocating or the sun is blistering, and when neither of these is the case, the monsoon rains are flooding the island. 

So I am enjoying our brief, bearable 'summer', though I am aware that by late August, the sun will crank of the humidity dial and people will seek the comfort of closed doors and rooms with AC. 

I feel like I need to add here that the reason I'm writing about the weather is that everything else seems so Goddamn depressing. I think I need to stop reading the news in the morning. I mean, I get up not feeling very well anyway--lots of nighttime kinks and aches to shake out, and then I sit there at the table pouring over what is basically 100 percent bad news these days. Not fake new, mind you. Just plain bad news. My mind gets stuck on our president's statement that Kim Jong-Un is a 'very honorable, likeable guy'. This is the guy who starves thousands of his own people, who imprisons and tortures them in Nazi style concentration camps, who makes whole families disappear in clouds of blood, who murders even his own family members. A very honorable guy?  I'm just like stunned. Just sitting there staring. How can this be? How can it be that in America a woman's baby is taken away from her even as it is breast feeding? And the woman's crime? She was seeking asylum, protection from the violence and repression in her own country. My God.  

So the weather, as noxious as it sometimes is, seems incomparably pleasant compared to the world that it shines or rains on. 

No comments: