Visits

Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Twilight's Last Gleaming

When I left America eight years ago, it never occurred to me that I would not come back. But now, with what America has become as a nation since then, I doubt that I will ever return. I am an old man now, and the damage that has been done to the country just seems so extensive as to make repair in the near future, if indeed ever, quite unlikely. In a way, I feel lucky to be where I am--as if I had unconsciously seen what was coming, and on the other hand I feel inconsolably sad, as at a death. America has not become great again. It has become all that the fathers intended it not to be. Those we trusted to preserve our democracy have become instead the authors of its demise, and far too many of our people have cheered them on.   

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Well said! It is a nightmare that doesn't end.