Visits

Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Quiet Family

Have you ever known one of these people who seem to think that being loud is the same as being right? I suppose the online texting version of this is the 'all caps typist'. You've met them, right--those who appear to believe that texting in all caps is certain to cement their point of view as just plain truth? Sure you have.

My second wife, though a wonderful woman, was an all caps speaker in any dispute. I remember saying to her on several occasions, quietly of course, and once she had closed her lips for a moment, that being loud, that drowning out your 'opponent', is something quite different from being right. Really, it is merely tyranny, isn't it? 

I grew up in a quiet family. I think that I never heard my father "yell", though of course he would occasionally raise the volume of his voice somewhat. The only time I heard my mother yell was when a friend of my father's got drunk at the gathering after my brother's funeral and fell asleep on the dining room table. Other than that, you could have called us "The Quiet Family". 

This loud world, therefore, has always been somewhat jarring for me. I remember a strange period of time, a matter only of days really, during my childhood when everything suddenly seemed painfully loud, piercing--voices, music, chairs scraping on the floor, even the tap of silverware on glass. I remember sitting at the breakfast table and demanding that my family members BE QUIET! Lol. If I remember rightly, I was taken to the doctor for this curious problem, though I don't remember what the doctor's determination was. The boy is crazy, perhaps? In any case, the phenomenon went away as swiftly as it had started, thankfully. 

There have been a few strange symptoms like that throughout the years--odd, inexplicable problems that would come and go. Perhaps all along these were manifestations of MS. When, after all, does malfunction of the central nervous system begin? How many incidents may have been early evidence? 

Who knows. 
  

No comments: