Visits

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Joker

I don't usually bother with watching movies like "Joker" (or Batman, or The Avengers, or X-Men, or whatever). I had read, however, that Joker had something to say about what had led such a large portion of the populace to vote for Donald Trump, and so I decided to give it a look. 

Frankly, I didn't see what it had to do with Trump or with any particular political statement. The movie was interesting, however, to the extent that it was probably just about the most depressing movie I have ever seen, relentlessly dark and dismal, unsettling. 

I remember reading recently a Facebook entry by an Indonesian woman who warned against taking one's children to the movie. One imagines, naturally, that it's going to have something to do with Batman, superheroes, supervillains and such like. Not at all. I suppose it is about why and how the Joker became the Joker, and it certainly is a pitiful story of human unkindness and abuse--and it is much too strong and too real to be appropriate for children. So I would echo the same warning. 

Joker actually bordered on being a good movie, and I will say that the performance of the main player, as the Joker, was impressive--so intense, really, that it was sometimes hard to watch. However, I can't see that the narrative ever focused on any redeeming idea or commentary. In short, I can't recommend it. 

No comments: