Visits

Thursday, October 10, 2019

New Arrival

As I walked into Starbucks the day before yesterday, a man sitting at one of the tables gestured to me, asking me to come over for a moment. He introduced himself as "Peter" and explained that he had often seen me here. 

So we got to talking. Peter is from the Netherlands and has stayed in Bali off and on through the last ten years. It turned out in the course of the conversation that he was unhappy with arrangements in his current residence, a small apartment complex in which he is the only tenant. The main problem, he explained, is loneliness. Further description also revealed that he was paying way too much for a room he could get for half the price where I am living. 

The same day, Peter came and looked at the place--at the vacant room that just happens to be directly next door to my own--and ended up moving in the same day. 

So I have now a neighbor from the Netherlands. 

Peter seems to be a nice old fellow (I can say 'old fellow' because he is actually older than I, albeit in better health)--very sociable, happy to be in a community again. 

The arrival of Peter makes the apartment complex full now, a big difference from being empty but for me and one other resident just a few months ago. The more the merrier, I guess. 

No comments: