Visits

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Coming out my door this morning, I happened to meet Sia and Lupi, just passing by on their way to work. 

"You look handsome this morning," Sia said. 

"Yes," Lupi agreed. "Nice outfit. Are you doing something special today?"

"Well, you never know," I answered, and then added, somewhat to my own surprise, "It's the first day of the rest of my life." 

I got to thinking about that response later on. It's a bit like an old quote from Tom Petty--"If you're not getting older, you're dead"--only with a sunnier sort of spin. 

This is, after all, the first day of the rest of my life. Tomorrow will also be the first day, for the rest of my life starts, really, the moment I awake in the morning and become conscious of the day. 

I've decided that this is a pretty good way to look at things, something I will want to remember. And given that my memory is starting out new and must therefore have plenty of storage space, this should not be difficult to do. 

No comments: