Visits

Monday, December 16, 2019

Deja You

There is a young woman whom I often chat with here, several times a day actually. She is Balinese but lives and works in Borneo, and she reminds me very much of my younger daughter, always laughing, always doing something silly. She brings an extra ray of sunshine to my every day, even though Bali has plenty of sunshine of its own. But this is a different sort of sunshine, isn't it? It takes me back to the fun Jamila and I used to have, whether at home or in the mall or wherever. She was always having to do something ridiculous, and always having to employ me in it. I "got" her sense of humor, and sometimes even one-upped her with my own brand of stupidity. Not everyone was in the loop. Even her own mother didn't 'get it'. Those were precious days, those times I had with her between adolescence and adulthood. And so it is nice to 'revisit' them in this way, to share an easy, mutually plugged in sort of banter that is nearly prescient--such that sometimes we will say the same thing at the same time, and then laugh all the more. Who knew that my daughter had a clone on this far side of the world? And they are just about the same age! Life throughout life converses with itself and offers its precious gifts without pause.

No comments: