Visits

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Dreams

I have been dreaming lately of weddings. Strange. I myself have never been involved in a traditional wedding, even with three marriages. My first wife and I were married by a justice of the peace in a little town on the way to the beach. to which we proceeded for our honeymoon. My second wife and I were married also by a justice of the peace, this time actually at the beach, in Lincoln City. We were with a friend and his wife, who had also recently been married, and our guests were anyone who happened to be passing by. The third time around, I was marriage in a small church, but there none of the trappings one would generally associate with an 'official' wedding. Short and simple.

But the weddings I have been dreaming of are large affairs, with fancy wedding dresses and bridesmaids and grooms and a large crowd of attendees--everything one might see in a movie. In the dreams, I am just one of the attendees, not the groom. Sometimes I know the person getting married, sometimes not. 

Regarding weddings in dreams, I read the following in The Dream Bible:

"To dream of a wedding represents unification with some aspect of yourself. The joining or merging of qualities. It may also reflect an experience in your life where you noticing something becoming permanent. Often a symbol for new habits or situations that are becoming common place in your life. A wedding may also represent a catalyst event that motivates you to do something all the time. Sometimes it can be a reflection of a transforming event.

Negatively, a wedding may reflect negative situations or negative thinking patterns that are becoming common place in your life being amplified in your waking life. Negative situations or unwanted aspects of yourself merging. Fear, want, jealousy, or guilt that are regularly occurring or feel permanent.

To dream of attending a wedding may reflect your feelings about permanent changes that are occurring to someone else. It may reflect witnessing yourself changing. Experiencing two sides of yourself merging."


Well … hmm … none of these seem to apply, unless it is indeed a feeling about other people moving on to other permanent circumstances outside the shrinking sphere of my life. That could be it. In the dreams, I am generally happy for those being married, and yet there is also an underlying feeling of loss or nostalgia. Perhaps it all has to do with a feeling of being outside the ceremony, observing other people proceeding with their lives whilst my own reality seems one of general disengagement, of greatly reduced options. Forward motion versus stasis. In fact, now that I think of it, I think that is it! 

Dreams always take a while to settle into interpretation. The languages are different. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just had your vision restored.

R.W. Boughton said...

Anonymous--OMG, you're right! How quickly we take good things for granted. But yes, as I think about the dreams, along with the influence of other events and things I had been reading or watching, it all fits rather well. Thanks for your input. Sometimes one is too close to the trees of his life to see the forest.