Visits

Friday, July 24, 2009

Between a Rock and a Hard Place


I wonder if any of you can imagine not having money enough even for a pack of cigarettes. My guess is that most of you can. Maybe we have all been there at one time or another. I guess the longer you live, the more often you'll find yourself broke.

This morning I had to make a decision. It was a weighty decision, one that I struggled over. Shall I lack this, or shall I lack that? The tug of war was between a pack of cigarettes and my customary Starbuck's cappuccino.

In the end the coffee won out. It is a bitter victory. What is a cup of coffee without a cigarette, right?

And so I'm sitting here, sipping at my unsatisfactory cappuccino, and raking my mind for some way of getting those cigarettes after all. (Is this sad or what?). Hmmmmmm.

There just seems to be no loophole here, no give in the situation. Maybe I should pray. Seriously. I knew a woman who prayed for a dishwasher and got it. Of course she was left to deal with the gaping hole in the roof through which the appliance had fallen, but still . . .

Maybe I'm just not using my noodle. I need to try to think in a more nonlinear manner.

Hmmmmm . . . .

No comments: