Visits

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Scorcher

Hooooooey! Somewhere around 107 degrees now, and I've been driven from my house, in search of air conditioning. Old fantasies of moving to Arizona one day have now wholly evaporated. No Frickin Way!

Heat like this is also another first in my relationship with MS. I had thought in the past that heat really did not affect me very much--or as much, anyway, as I had heard other people describe. Now I know better--for this sort of heat pushes MS and the overtaxed nervous system way over the hill of no return. It's like a certain point comes where there is no way to cool the overheated wires, and little fires begin to break out all over. Sensation in the toes, never veyr good in the first place, gets shut off altogether--what toes? The brain begins to drip like hot wax, calf muscles simulate silly putty.

But Oh this Starbucks feels so fresh and cool. I fully intend to hide behind the counter later and sleep here overnight.

Earlier on I felt like I was going to be sick. Felt nauseated, dizzy, off balance, developed a splitting, throbbing headache, and felt as if I might at any moment vomit. But see, I had always loved the heat the past--the pre-MS past. It had never bothered me--no, not even heat such as this. So obviously something has changed, right? Well, of course it has.

If there is one feeling in all the world that I really, really hate, it is nausea. I have always felt sorry for those with MS who have ended up with the vertigo/dizziness/nausea symptoms. Yikes.

Well, sorry if this sounds like a weather report. I'm just finding any reason I can to stay in this cool air for as long as I can.

No comments: