Visits

Saturday, November 24, 2018

A Breath of Fresh Air

A consistent rain, starting during the night and continuing through this morning, has brought a sorely needed cooling to sun baked south Bali. Whew. 

It is very difficult to describe the murderous humidity of this season in Bali. It presses down from the sky, presses in through your skin, wraps itself around your bones and muscles and lungs and then squeezes like a boa constrictor. There is the feeling that the atmosphere, unable to bear itself any longer, must at any moment explode and vanish in a great cloud of steam. 

The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire; and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare (2 Peter, 3:10). 

Yeah. Kind of like that. 

So, it was with thankfulness and relief this morning that I headed out on my motorbike through a light sprinkle, the breath of a delicious breeze washing my brow and ruffling my shirt-sleeves. I entered Starbucks to the cheery sound of Jingle Bells on their music system, ordered the customary latte, and then took it to one of the tables outside to continue to bathe in the fresh, unburdened air. Festive! 

I find that the intensity of the pain in my neck and shoulder is also decreased. Is this something that is exacerbated by heat intolerance? It's a thought. 

No comments: