Visits

Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Return of the Running Man

Restless leg syndrome makes an unwelcome reappearance over the last few nights. Weird how that happens. I had no problem with this symptom for quite some time, and now it's back, who knows why? 

And it's not just restless legs. It's restless feet, calves, knees, thighs, hips, torso, and arms. Sort of flopping around like a fish out of water. Anyone who has had this knows how it feels and knows that it' hard to explain. It's sort of like your body is trying to crawl out of its own skin. 

So I keep getting up, pacing around the house, smoking a cigarette, having a cup of cocoa--whatever. One feels kind of calmed down when he goes to lie down again, but then the jumps gradually jump back to action. So you lie down and think Okay, I gotta go to sleep FAST! Which is not actually the best method of falling asleep. 

There used to be this old joke in the Three Stooges short films. Moe would slap Larry or Curly and say "Hey, wake up and go back to sleep!" Easier said than done, right? 

Given all this nightly wrestling with oneself, one feels decidedly unrested when morning arrives. I can't help but note the dark circles under my eyes. I look like a damn racoon. With glasses. 

So I'm tanking up on coffee, and telling them to add an extra shot. It's gonna be a long day, with no rest in sight. 

*Postscript: Widhi, the barista, just asked me if I am feeling all right. I guess I must look even worse than I thought!

5 comments:

Christoph said...

A thing that helps me for restless legs is high-dosed-magnesium or magnesium phosphoricum!

R.W. Boughton said...

Christoph--Magnesium has proven ineffective for me in the past. So far, I've found nothing to combat RLS (except for a strong sleeping pill).

Christoph said...

If you want to go the way of modern medicine you can try levodopa. They help you for sure, but for my taste their side-effects are too strong.
(Depression. Addiction, Blablabla)
When I finally will make it to Starbucks, I will bring some magnesium-phosphoricum to try them.

Christoph said...

you need a prescibtion for levodopa and I think they are expensive here, around 1 Million), but it is pretty easy to get a prescribtion (for me it was just 30k) and there exists an indian generika which should be cheaper.

Christoph said...

I am at the Starbucks at Renon. Plaza now and wait there.